A Partner with Walker Area Community Foundation
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends." - Benjamin Franklin
For further information call the Jasper City Board of Education at (205) 384-6880 or the Walker Area Community Foundation Office at (205) 302-0001. More information can also be accessed at the Walker Area Community Foundation web site: www.wacf.org
The mission of the Excellence in Education Fund is to mobilize community support for the school system and to secure resources from individuals, corporations, and foundations. Funds raised become part of a permanent endowment that will support academic needs. Thus far the primary focus of the fund has been in the areas of technology and fine arts.
Methods of Giving
The charitable deduction for income tax purposes can be taken by people who itemize their income tax returns. Gifts are made through the Walker Area Community Foundation to the the Excellence in Education Fund. The Walker Area Community Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Check with your tax attorney, accountant or tax advisor to see how you can benefit from current tax rules.
- Cash: This is the simplest form of giving. Most of the gifts to the Excellence in Education Fund are made in the form of cash.
- Securities: There is a significant tax advantage with a donation of stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares. If these securities have increased in value since they were purchased and you have owned them for the required length of time, you may claim a charitable income tax deduction for their full market value. At the same time, capital gains taxes on the appreciation, which would be due if the securities were sold, may be avoided.
- Real Estate - Like securities, real estate can appreciate in value so that selling incurs substantial capital gains tax. Gifts of appreciated property can have a significant tax advantage. You may choose to give real estate outright and receive an immediate tax deduction, or retain the use of the property during your lifetime and make a planned gift.
- Bequest - A bequest is a provision in your will to provide a gift to the Excellence in Education Fund after your death.
- Life Insurance- A gift of life insurance is an excellent way of making a substantial contribution. The simplest way to make a gift of life insurance is to name the Excellence in Education Fund as the beneficiary of the policy.
- Charitable Gift Annuity- A charitable gift annuity allows you to make a valuable gift that pays you a guaranteed income. Through the use of an annuity contract, you transfer assets to the Excellence in Education Fund, and you will receive periodic fixed payment for the rest of your life. A Charitable Gift Annuity can reduce estate assets and may reduce estate taxes.
- Matching Gifts - Many companies offer employees a matching gift benefit that doubles – and, in some cases, even triples your gift to the Excellence in Education Fund. Check with your company’s human resources department and send in the proper forms when you make your gift.
- Honor and Memorial Gifts - You can make a donation to the Excellence in Education Fund in memory or honor of someone.